Alkaline Salt Crystal Removal
Alkaline Salt Crystal removal from your grout, concrete etc. can be accomplished in a breeze with Sulfamic Acid Crystals by Aqua Mix.
It can rid you of those nasty white spots. It also removes rust and mortar haze. It’s easy to use and works really well.
The crystals dissolve easily in water, directions on the label give you the amount to use per gallon. I only needed a really small amount so I just put a teaspoon full in a ½ cup of water to remove a small amount of efflorescence on a shower floor that was on the grout.
Granular Sulfamic Acid is dissolved in water and removes rust, grout and mortar haze and mineral spirits including efflorescence. It can be used on ceramic, quarry, natural stone, porcelain and grout. It is not recommended for porous tile such as Satillo. It complies with all Federal EPA and SCAQMD standards and VOC.
Prepping for Alkaline Salt Crystal Removal using Sulfamic Acid Crystals by Aqua Mix:
- A minimum of 10 days curing time is required for new grout prior to use of this product.
- Surface must be clean and free from all dirt.
- You will want to be sure to wear rubber gloves and use in a well ventilated area.
- If you are sensitive to smells you may want to wear a face mask to help cut down on the fumes. (Although they are very light if only using on small areas).
- Aqua Mix says DO NOT allow the product to come in contact with any non-recommended surface.
- Definitely DO NOT mix with any other cleaner.
- Any kind of Acid may etch, change the color of cementitious material, metallic glazes and some natural stone such as travertine, marble, limestone and some basalts.
- It is recommended to read the entire label prior to use.
Directions for Alkaline Salt Crystal Removal using Sulfamic Acid Crystals by Aqua Mix:
- Mix ½ cup crystals to 1 gallon of water. Mix until dissolved.
- For heavy duty cleaning use ¾ cup of the crystals to 1 gallon of water, mix until dissolved.
- You first wet the surface with water and then apply the solution with a small brush if your area/s are really small. For larger areas us a mop or sponge. Let the solution sit for 1 to 2 minutes then scrub with a white nylon scrub pad or scrub brush.
- It’s important not to let the solution dry on the surface. Rinse off completely with clean water. You should use the scrub pad or brush with clean water also the get into the dips and crannies.
And then you rinse again to remove the remainder of the solution.
- The coverage rate per 1 lb. of crystals is 300 sq. ft. minimum to 500 sq. ft. maximum. This of course is determined by the porosity of the material you are using it on.
- Properly applied product requires no special maintenance. Used properly you should achieve lasting results.
- You will want to be sure to close the container tightly after each use.
- Don’t put the crystals in an unmarked container at any time.
- Best to store it in its original container at temperatures between 45⁰ F- 85⁰ F.
- Definitely keep this product out of the reach of Children.
- Never reuse the empty container. The container is recyclable so please recycle and help to keep our earth free of harmful materials.
Once you have applied the product, scrubbed and rinsed well I would recommend you apply a penetrating sealer to the porous areas you are cleaning (ie. Grout, travertine, stone etc.) I will feature a penetrating sealer in a future Blog for you to consider.
The Benefits of Aqua Mix:
You can also get this type of acid in a liquid but what I like about the crystals is that they can easily be stored in a cabinet and not take up much space. Plus, no worries of spilling it by accident and damaging the area that it got spilled on such as paint, plastic or metal.
Aqua Mix is a product line of Custom Building Products. Custom Building products warrants this product to the original purchaser that is shall be free of defects in material and workmanship. Their sole liability under their warranty is limited to replacement of the product.
You can purchase Aqua Mix’s Sulfamic Acid Crystals here: Aqua Mix Sulfamic Acid Crystals – 1 lb It comes in a 1 lb. plastic jar and sells for $7.49 from Aqua Mix (sorry, no Prime member shipping on this one)
Tune in next time for another informative tip and trick to help you solve a problem that is bugging the heck out of you.